Literacy Narrative Reflection

Literacy Narrative Reflection

When writing my literacy narrative, I felt an unquenched deep anger and an undying sympathy. I couldn’t seem to shake the feeling that someone considered comparing racism a girl endured at age 6 to a wealthy businesswoman being unwelcomed for imposing selfish and inconsiderate plans for the U.S. education system. Although I agree with the overall message of the political cartoon by Glenn McCoy, the cartoon as a whole should have been executed differently to avoid the degrading impact on Ruby Bridges efforts.
My unquenched anger derives from two incomparable situations being compared. I couldn’t resist becoming biased based on who I am. I couldn’t resist understanding what it would have been like for a young 6 year old girl with melanated skin to experience oppression for simply attending an all-white school. As a black individual myself, I believe i have no other option but to innately put myself in her shoes. Ruby Bridges is a big contribution to me being able to attend any school or public institute where the color of my skin won’t impact the way I am treated. I truly believe that “Trying to Trash Betsy DeVos” is a poor mannered cartoon that should not have been considered to be created. I wrote my narrative in strong bias against the implicit degradation the cartoon caused to Ruby Bridges. As a black person with melanated skin, wrote feeling a certain responsibility that I had to relay to the audience my passion for this situation.
The intended audience for my Literacy Narrative were my peers in the classroom. I kept in mind that I felt very strong about the comparison while writing. I assumed that most of my intended audience would agree that the parallelism is undeniably irrational and in return understand my narrative in greater depth. I wrote my narrative in hopes that the reader would understand my passion about the parallelism between Glenn McCoy’s cartoon and Norman Rockwell’s painting, becoming just as passionate as myself.